Will my old passport be returned when applying for a passport renewal?

Yes, your old US passport will be returned unless it is deemed to be damaged by the United States Department of State. The passport will clearly indicate that it is invalid and it is important that you advise whether any valid visas remain in the passport before applying for it to be renewed.

Where do I get a passport application?

To start your passport application you may download the official passport forms on this website or you can also pick them up at public offices.  Some public offices that will have these available include post offices, courthouses and municipal offices where passport applications are accepted.

What do I do if my child under 16 needs a passport?

Under 16 years old the applicant must have the consent of both parents/guardians. The applicant and *both parents or guardians must be present when applying. All three required parties must be able to show identification such as a birth certificate or driver’s license etc. Additionally the parents or guardians must be able to present proof of their relationship to the child and must be able to present the applicants social security number (the actual social security card is preferred).

*If a parent/guardian has sole custody of the applicant, the proof of sole custody must be shown. If the second parent or guardian is unable to attend the application session the other parent/guardian must bring a signed and notarized DS-3053 consent form for the other parent or guardian.

What is a Passport?

A passport is a government issued document given by the national government where the citizen resides. A passport certifies the identity and citizenship of the holder to allow for international traveling. It serves on the behalf of the issuing nation’s government officials to the foreign government(s) to permit travel, lawful support and protection, to passport holder, while in foreign territory.

How do I report my passport stolen?

Urgent Passport specializes in passport and visa services. We have helped person after person with this exact situation and can guide you through the process.  Call us at 800-573-3738 for immediate help from one of our passport specialists or submit a lost passport application by visiting here.  Either way Urgent Passport Services is here to help.

Where are the instructions for filling out the passport forms?

To find the instructions for filling out the passport, you can have a look at:

  1. Form DS-11: New U.S. Passport application
  2. Form DS-82: Renewal application for a U.S. Passport (by Mail)
  3. Form DS-4085: Additional Visa Pages application form
  4. Form DS-5504: Application for a U.S. Passport  for changes if any and Limited Passport Replacement
  5. Form DS-64: Lost or Stolen Passport Statement
  6. Statement of Consent Form i.e. DS-3053

How do I renew my passport?

For passport renewal, submission of the following is to be done:

  1. DS-82; a U.S Passport Renewal Application
  2. Two latest and identical photos
  3. An Adult passport (10 Year Validity) that expired less than 5 years ago
  4. Order form for renewal of passport
  5. Authorization Letter
  6. Proof of travel; a photocopy of a plane ticket or copy of hotel reservation
  7. Fees of $170 to be paid to the Government

How to get a passport if I’ve never had one?

You can obtain a U.S passport through:

  1. Online passport agencies that submit and speed up the application process on your behalf.
  2. Acceptance agencies like courthouses, municipal offices and post offices.

What if my passport was lost or stolen?

For the replacement of passport either stolen or lost, submit and complete the following:

  1. DS-64: Lost Passport order form
  2. DS-11: A fresh U.S Passport application
  3. Authorization Letter
  4. Two latest passport photos
  5. U.S citizenship proof
  6. Identity proof
  7. Proof of travel; a photocopy of a plane ticket or copy of hotel reservation
  8. Fees of 170 $ and 140 $ for adults and minors to be paid to the Government

I was recently married/divorced. How do I change my name on my passport?

The name present in your passport can be changed by completing and submitting:

  1. Form DS-5504; an application for change in name. This needs to be done well before one year of the present passport that is still valid.
  2. The passport to be replaced
  3. An original document issued by the court; divorce decree, marriage certificate, that indicates the change of name
  4. Two latest photos

I was born abroad. How do I get a birth certificate?

If either or both of your parents is/was a U.S. citizen when you were born abroad, either or both of your parent(s) should/should have registered your birth at a U.S. embassy or consulate, and, obtain/received a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Form FS-240. This form is good enough to be a legal proof of birth and U.S. citizenship.

What should I do if my baby is born abroad?

As parent(s) who are U.S citizens, the birth of your child is to be reported as quickly as possible to your nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. The U.S. embassy or consulate will then prepare and give the parent(s), the Consular Report of Birth of a Citizen of the United States of America also known as Form FS-240. The Form FS-240 is a basic United States citizenship document. But if the parent(s) bring the baby back to the U.S without obtaining this document or if the applicant is18 years of age or older at the time the application is made, remember, this document will neither be prepared nor given in the U.S.

What do I do if there is no birth record on file for me?

If there is no written record of birth on files even though you were born in the U.S, a letter from the Vital Statistics office of the state of your birth with your name and what years were searched for your birth record, is what you will need. Apart from this, early public records that prove your birth in the U.S. will also be required. And if your birth was outside of U.S and your U.S citizen parent(s) did not document your birth at the U.S Embassy or Consulate, the following will be required:

  • Your foreign birth certificate which has your parents’ names in it,
  • Evidence of your parent(s) U.S. citizenship
  • And your parents’ marriage certificate for applying for a U.S passport.

How do I sign my child’s passport?

In the event of your child being too young to sign his/her passport, you as a parent (mother/father) should print your child’s name and sign your own name in the space provided for signature. Write the word (mother/father) in parenthesis by the parent’s name, so that the authorities will know who signed it.

How do I find out my passport application status?

To check the status of your passport application, you need to:

Go to the U.S Department of State and select the “Check Application Status” to register yourself. You need to give your email address along with, your last name, Date of Birth and the last four digits of your Social Security Number.

How do I renew my passport the regular slow way?

To Renew a Passport by Mail the slow way:

To renew a passport you must start by completing form DS-82 either online or in print using black ink. You need to print your online application when you are finished. Sign page 1 of this form. Use a padded envelope to package the application with your passport, current fees, and two passport photos. If your current name differs from the one in the passport, also include either a marriage certificate or court order documenting the name change. Send the envelope to the following address for routine service:

National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90155
PA 19190-0155

Send to the following address for expedited service:

National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90955
PA 19190-0955

The State Department recommends that you mail the documents with a tracing method, such as Express Mail, Registered Mail or Priority Mail with signature or delivery confirmation.

To Apply for a New Passport in Person:

Fill out a DS-11 form but do not sign the form. Assemble a package that includes the form, two passport photos, the current fees, and either your previous U.S. passport, or if it is damaged, evidence of U.S. citizenship, such as a certified birth or naturalization certificate. You’ll also need proof of identification such as the passport or a valid driver’s license, and a photocopy on plain, letter-sized paper showing the front and back of your ID. Visit your nearest acceptance facility or passport agency. Sign the form when instructed by the passport agent. Then submit all materials to him.


Passport Photos:

Your passport photos must meet strict requirements to be accepted by the passport agent. For example, they must be 2 by 2 inches, have a white or off-white background and show you in ordinary street wear. The easiest way to meet these directives is to have your picture taken at a storefront passport photo shop or at an acceptance facility that provides photography. Use expedited service, which costs an additional fee, if you need your passport in less than 2 weeks for international travel or within 4 weeks to get a visa.

How do I get a passport in a hurry?

Are you in need of an emergency passport? Urgent Passport specializes in expediting passports and visas regardless of the situation.  Sometimes you have to leave on an unexpected trip and other times people just simply forget to renew their passport. To insure you receive your passport on time call us at 800-573-3738 and speak with one of our specialists. We will assist you with the entire process and make it as easy as possible.  Alternately, you may download the forms located here for your rush passport.

I have never had a passport, how do I get one?

Getting a Passport for the First Time the Slow Way:

If you are getting a passport for the first time, start by completing form DS-11, available on the State Department website or from the passport acceptance facility or passport agency closest to you. Do not sign the form until the acceptance agent tells you to do so. Gather together the necessary documents to submit with your application. You’ll need a certified birth certificate or consular report if you were born abroad, a certificate of citizenship or a naturalization certificate. You’ll also need to prove your identity by showing a valid driver’s license, military ID or government ID. Make a photocopy of the identification documents you intend to present when you submit your application. You must copy both the front and back of the document. Get a passport-sized photograph of yourself that meets State Department requirements. The regulations on photographs are strict, and if you don’t adhere to them, your application will be delayed or returned. Your photograph must show your full face with a neutral facial expression, taken against a plain white background. You must not wear a hat, head covering or headphones for the photograph, although you can keep your prescription glasses on if you wear them every day. Check the State Department website for the full list of regulations. Ensure you have the correct fee available and that you can pay it in one of the accepted formats. A new adult passport book costs $110, plus a $25 execution fee. Accepted forms of payment vary according to where you’re submitting your application. For example, passport agencies can accept checks, money orders and credit and debit cards, while acceptance facilities accept only personal checks, bank drafts, money orders and, in some cases, cash. Submit your application in person at an acceptance facility or passport agency. Use the State Department’s search page to find the facility closest to you.

How many blank passport pages do I need?

Passports must have enough blank pages to accommodate entry and exit immigration stamps for each country of travel. At least one visa page in your passport is required for each visa. Most travel visas that are stamped into your passport require an entire blank visa page. A ‘blank’ visa page must be clean, clear, and not show ink or stains from any other pages in the passport.

Passport Proof of Travel Departure Documents

The U.S. government wants to see proof of travel for expedited passport to show that you are leaving the country within the next two to three weeks.  They are more than willing to process your passport application very quickly as long as you have a real travel situation that warrants it being done quickly.

The two types of “Proof of Travel” are the following:

1)  A flight itinerary from an airline or a travel agent showing you as the passenger and showing the international flight information.  A photocopy of this itinerary is sufficient.

2)  Company Letter of Expedite – this letter is to be typed on company letterhead and is intended for business travelers that have not yet booked their air ticket, but now that they will be departing the country on a specific day.  Please see this sample “Company Letter of Expedite“.

Certified Birth Certificate

Do I need a Certified Birth Certificate?

Yes! You need a certified birth certificate, original naturalization certificate or recently expired passport. One of these documents is required in order to apply for a U.S. Passport.

What is a certified birth certificate?

A certified birth certificate has a registrar’s raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar’s signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar’s office, which must be within 1 year of your birth. Please note that some short (abstract) versions of birth certificates may not be acceptable for passport purposes. You can obtain a new certificate by contacting the state Dept. of Vital Records/Health Services or the county of your birth.

What do you mean by “long-form” birth certificate?

This birth certificate contains all relevant birth information including: 1) Mother’s name and age at time of birth 2) Father’s name and age at time of birth 3) Filing date and number 4) Hospital of birth (perhaps). If any of this information is missing, you probably do not have a valid birth certificate.

Are photocopies of my birth certificate or naturalization certificate accepted?

Absolutely NOT!

Will I get my birth certificate back?

Yes! It will be sent to you with your new passport.

I refuse to send my original birth certificate.

Then you don’t get a passport.

Where can I get a replacement birth certificate?

Copy/paste the link below get you started! http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm

Are hospital-issued birth certificates acceptable?

No. You must obtain a certified birth certificate from the county/state of birth.

How long is my US passport valid?

If your US passport was issued when you were 16 years old or older, your passport is valid for 10 years. If your US passport was issued when you were 15 years old or younger, your passport is valid for 5 years.

Passport Acceptance Agents

What, exactly, is a Passport Acceptance Agent?

These are offices designated by the Dept. of State Passport Service to accept and pre-process your passport application. They basically serve to verify your identity in order combat the issuance of fraudulent passports. According to Federal Regulation, if you are applying for a new/lost/replacement passport, you must visit an Acceptance Agent to properly process your DS-11 application.

How do I make sure they are doing their job correctly?

The Post Office or County Clerk Acceptance Agent must include your certified copy/original document proving your USA citizenship. This original must be included, NOT A PHOTOCOPY. If they fail to do this, please do yourself a favor: go to another processing facility.

Where is the nearest Passport Acceptance Agent?

Paste the link below in your web browser: http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/DefaultForm.aspx

Can I call you while getting my Passport Application initially processed?

Absolutely! We will try to answer your phone call as best we can.

When do I pay the Passport Acceptance Agent fee?

You pay the $25 directly to the agent once they have sealed your security envelope.

Passport Photos

How do I know my photos are acceptable?

Here are the common problems: 1) Pictures are too dark, murky or hazy. 2) Not on a white or light colored background. 3) You are wearing that really cool cap/hat/lid/chapeau/hooded sweatshirt/headband. Unless you are wearing a headcovering for religious reasons only (strummel, hijab, etc.), your head must be bare.

I have an infant. What’s the best way to take their photo?

Here are some rules/hints we have run across in experience: 1) The child’s eyes must be open and facing the camera. 2) No part of your body must be visible in the photo. 3) The child cannot be shown crying (we know, tall order here!). HINT: Buy a brand new white bedsheet at Target or Bed, Bath & Beyond or wherever you buy sheets. Lay the child on the floor and take the picture from above. HINT: Be patient.

Can I make my own photos on my home system?

Sure. Just be sure to make your photos 2″ x 2″ and they must be printed on photo paper. These photos must be color, taken with your head on a white/very light background and try to minimize flash reflection off your glasses (if worn).

Child Passport Photos

If you have small children (under the age of 3), it can be difficult to get the child to look straight into the camera with their eyes open.  We suggest going to get the photos in advance at a place like CVS, Costco, or Kinko’s.  Once there, if the child is very young, it often works to lay the child on the floor on top of the colored background, then have the child look up at something when the photo is taken.  Good Luck….

Back Child Support

I am behind in my child support payments. Will this delay my passport?

No. It will DENY your issuance of a passport. No exceptions.

Who do I contact to clear my child support arrears?

Your state Dept. of Children and Family Services.

Government Passport Fees

How do I pay the Government Fees?

You must include a check or money order made out to the U.S. Department of State.

How much is an adult passport?

$170 payable to the US Dept. of State. Personal Check or Money Order only.  No starter checks, temporary checks, or checks that aren’t filled out completely.

How much is a child passport?

$140 payable to the US Dept. of State.  Personal Check or Money Order only.  No starter checks, temporary checks, or checks that aren’t filled out completely.

I thought a passport costs only $110 for me or $80 for my child?

This is true; however, in order to obtain an expedited passport (why you are here in the 1st place), you must pay $60 over and above the normal passport fee. This is a non-negotiable “expedited” up-charge levied by the US Dept. of State.

Are the Urgent Passport Services fees included with the government fees?

No. Our fees are separate and in addition to any governmental fees.

Do I include the $25 fee with my passport fee in one check/money order?

No. You pay this fee separately to the Passport Acceptance Agent. Generally, cash is the best form of payment.  This fee is required for all applications except for renewals or extra visa page applications.

Passport Application Documents

What do I need to include?

You must provide all the necessary documentation required by our instructions to support your passport application. This includes any or all of the following: 1) Copy of your official government issued photo ID 2) Copy of your travel itinerary 3) Signed Letter of Authorization 4) Certified copy of a marriage certificate (if renewing a passport containing your maiden name). ***Follow our instructions in detail and you will be just fine.***

I am a divorced woman. I have resumed using my former name. What do I do?

  1. Your certified copy of your divorce decree MUST accompany your passport application. This will be returned to you with your new passport.
  2. Your divorce decree must state that you are resuming your former name.
  3. Your government issued photo ID must reflect the name you want to use on your passport. If none of these conditions are met, your application will be suspended/declined.

I have changed my name. What do I need?

You need a county-certified copy of a court order detailing your name change. This must accompany your birth certificate.

Why do I need the Letter of Authorization?

So Urgent Passport Services can submit your passport application, pick-up your completed passport and discuss your application with the Passport Agency during the process.

On what color paper should my application materials be printed?

White paper. No exceptions.

Can I fax my documents to renew/obtain my passport?

No. Original signatures are required. If you would like us to review your paperwork before you submit, please notify us as we would be happy to look them over! Confidentiality will be maintained and our fax is secure.

Can I get my passport over the phone?


Does the Letter of Authorization get sealed in the “security envelope”?

YES! Please make 2 original LOAs and seal one and leave one paper clipped to the outside of the security envelope. This requirement only applies to New/Child/Lost passport applications.

Passport Denials

I am currently on probation.

Your passport application will be denied.

I currently owe child support.

Your passport application will be denied.

I’m wanted for arrest.

Your passport application will be denied.

I am currently in prison.

Your passport application will be denied.

I have served time in prison/on probation. Will this deny my passport application?

Not necessarily. As long as you have completed your sentence and “paid your debt to society”, you will generally be issued a passport.

I have been summoned to appear in court in response to charges.

Your passport application will be denied.

Detailed Information on Passport Requirements

Where do I find detailed info about applying for a passport and what to do in special situations?

Copy/Paste this link into your web browser: http://travel.state.gov/passport/faq/faq_1741.html

Passport Naturalization Certificates

I just received my Naturalization Certificate. Can I get a US Passport?

Yes! And congratulations on obtaining your US Citizenship. You must send the original “green” form along with your passport application materials in order to obtain a US Passport. This form will be returned to you with your new passport.

I lost my Naturalization Certificate. What do I do?

Copy/Paste the following link: www.uscis.gov to find out how to obtain a replacement certificate. Search for document N-565.

US Citizens Born Overseas

What documents do I need to prove my citizenship?

You will need to provide your: 1) Original Consular Report of Birth Abroad, 2) Foreign Birth Certificate, translated into English by authorized authority.

OK, I don’t have a Consular Report. Now what?

If you were born abroad AND do not have a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certificate of Birth on file, you will need:

  1. If you claim citizenship through birth abroad to one U.S. citizen parent: * Foreign birth certificate, * Proof of citizenship of your U.S. citizen parent, AND * An affidavit of your U.S. citizen parent showing all periods and places of residence or physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth.
  2. If you claim citizenship through birth abroad to two U.S. citizen parents: * Your foreign birth certificate, * Parent’s marriage certificate, AND * Proof of citizenship of your U.S. parents and an affidavit of your U.S. citizen parents showing all periods and places of residence of physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth.

About Urgent Passport Services

Are you guys reputable?

Yes, we are reputable. We have earned an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and have been in business for over 8 years. We are registered with the U.S. State Department as a passport expediter. All of our services are 100% guaranteed

Are your fees competitive? And what am I paying for?

We’d like to think so! You are paying for a reputable, straight-forward company to expedite the passport/visa application process. We help you navigate the myriad of rules thrown up by all governmental entities and break it down into simple, easy to digest morsels. You pay an expediting fee for a pair of eyes to watch your application through the process and notify you of any “hiccups” along the way (not anticipated). You also pay for the expertise needed to answer any questions you may have about your application and if you have a varied background, we can guide you along the right path to obtain your passport easily.

What is the educational/professional background of your staff?

All our staff possess at least a Bachelor’s degree in a science, engineering or business discipline. Some of us even have Master’s degrees! All our staff are imbued with a high order of organization and punctuality (you can set your watch by us). Most of us have been employed as: real estate sales, mortgage sales, title insurance professional, logistics, mechanical engineer, commercial insurance underwriter, small business owner, professional geologist (yep, you read right), etc.

What is your corporate philosophy?

See our guarantee page and our “about us” page.

How do I know my documents are safe?

We observe a high state of vigilance to safeguard your information. Rest assured that we do not sell your information to any outside vendors nor do we farm out our client list to third party sales entities.

Hey! You guys goofed on one of the answers contained within these FAQ pages!

What can we say? We’re human. And for that, we can’t apologize. However, we are certainly open to constructive criticism and positive correction. E-mail us at support@urgentpassport.com with your concern and we will research the issue within 24 business hours to find the right answer.

Urgent Passport Service Fees

How much do you charge?

See our order form (any Part 1) for a range of our expediting and delivery service charges.

Is the cost of my passport/visa included in your fee?

No. That is a separate fee payable to the State Dept./Consulate.

Do you offer group discounts on your expediting fees?

We sure do! Any group/family over 3 people applying at the same time can enjoy competitive discounts. Call for enquiry.